Friday, November 2, 2012

Team in Training Update

I am sending out "newsletters" to everyone I asked for a donation, as a way to update them as well as to remind them about my fundraising if they have not donated yet.  Here's this month's update!


Hello friends and family!

Another month of training and fundraising has passed and I wanted to take the opportunity to update you as to my progress with Team in Training.

Honoured Teammate

When I don't want to go running, I think about the people who the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Canada supports.  I think about all the people who have been diagnosed with leukemia and lymphoma, and all the people who love them.  I think that if they can go through everything they go through, I can get out for a little run!

One such person is Ottawa's "Honoured Teammate", Liam.  Liam is an 8 year old boy who was diagnosed with Philadelphia chromosome positive (ph+) acute lymphblastic leukemia (ALL), a rare form of leukemia, in March 2011.  Only 2-3% of children with ALL are diagnosed with this rare form.  Prior to 2000, the prognosis was very poor.  Now, with advanced research, the invention of new drugs and ongoing trials, Liam's chances of survival are around 75% - almost the same as other forms of ALL.  Liam is now doing really well and is two months into the 16 month "maintenance phase" of treatment.  He will get to go back to school and can be a regular kid most of the time.  His mom tells us that he is patiently waiting for his hair to grow back.  While he is doing well, his future is still a bit unknown and continuing research is important, as well as support for his family, including his parents and his younger brother, Benjamin, who have also been impacted a great deal by Liam's diagnosis.

Every team has an Honoured Teammate every season.  TNT says this about our Honoured Teammates:

"TNT is truly an unforgettable experience, made even more meaningful by an honored patient - a local blood cancer survivor whose courage provides motivation and inspiration - a special partner whose challenge is greater than your own."

"Honoured Teammates are very special individuals who have battled, or are battling, a form of blood cancer.  Team In Training (TNT) participants train and participate in endurance events in honour of these courageous individuals.  So often people are asked to raise funds for a charity with very little understanding of how valuable their efforts are.  By honouring a member of our own community, and hearing their story firsthand, participants are able to understand the extreme value of their efforts.  As the distances get longer and longer in training and at races, they can think of their honoured patient and push through to the finish."

Funds Raised

As of today, I have raised $2,401.81 for Team in Training thanks largely due to generous donations from friends and family like you.  I have set my ultimate goal as $5,000, and this amount is 48% of my total goal.  

In my initial email, I set a deadline of October 15, 2012 for you to pledge your support.  The reason I set this date was because I had to "recommit" to Team in Training by October 18, 2012.  This "recommitment" was a promise by me that if I fail to reach a minimum fundraising amount, I will pay the balance out of my own pocket.  For me, my minimum goal is $3,100.  I am telling you this so you know, firstly, that I am committed to this cause 100% and secondly, that you can still donate even if you missed the first deadline.  My next "mini goal" is to raise $3,500 by November 15, 2012.  If you have been thinking of donating and have not done so yet, I would love your support at this time.

Yoga Fundraiser

I hosted a fundraiser a few weeks ago with a yoga teacher I know in Ottawa.  Monica generously donated her time to host an outdoor yoga session, with the proceeds going to Team in Training.  We had a relatively low turnout, but raised $75 for Team in Training and are hoping to do another session with Monica soon.

Virtual Run

My latest fundraiser, which will go until the end of November, is a virtual run.  A virtual run is a race where you sign up, pay a "race fee", and run the race on your own (or with friends!) on a date of your choosing and at a location of your choosing.  All proceeds of this virtual run will go to Team in Training, and participants have the opportunity to win fantastic prizes from great companies like Endorphin Warrior, KT Tape, Larabar and SPIbelt.  For more information and to sign up, visit http://runningjennie.blogspot.ca/2012/10/tink-in-training-virtual-run-team-in.html.  Sign up, grab your friends, and help us fly away to a cure for leukemia and lymphoma!

Finish Time Pool

I am putting together a pool for people who want to guess my finishing time.  For a donation, you can take a guess at my finishing time (or a couple guesses if you like).  The winner will receive a prize.  Stay tuned for details!

Training

My training continues and although I am a little behind in my long runs due to life getting in the way and wanting to be gentle with my almost fully recovered injuries, I am confident that I will make it through to the race and reach my goals.

On October 27th, I ran a 5k race.  I ran this race in Toronto with Toronto Women's Runs.  I have run three other events with this group, including a half marathon in May 2012.  It poured rain at this event - nothing like some of our friends and family experienced with Hurricane Sandy, but enough to keep some of the runners away and give us lots of puddles to navigate.  I confirmed at this race that I definitely need a better waterproof jacket!  If any runners out there have suggestions, I would really appreciate it.  You can read more about this event on my blog.

I have also started to run "hills" for the first time while training for this race.  "Hills" means I find a hill and run up and down it... again and again and again.  Hill workouts are really difficult but they help a lot.  I find all my running is going better and faster now that I have challenged myself with these workouts.

Thank You!

Thank you all so much for your continued support of my training and fundraising, both in terms of donations and your encouragement.  If you have already donated, thank you!  If you have been thinking about it, now is a great time - with Christmas coming up, a donation in honour of a friend or family member makes a great gift, and donations made before the end of 2012 can be claimed on your income taxes for this year.  Please visit http://www.tinkintraining.com to donate (this URL will redirect you to my official LLSC fundraising page where you can donate and get a tax receipt) or check out my blog to sign up for the virtual run.  If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know!

All the best,

Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment