Saturday, October 20, 2012

TNT/Tinkerbell Update!

(Last published October 2nd?  Oops.)

Training is going well for the Tinkerbell Half.  Today I have a 10k LSD on my training plan - it's actually supposed to be tomorrow, but I have plans tomorrow that will prevent me from getting it in and today is so beautiful I cannot not get out and run in it!

Our Team in Training training plan calls for four runs a week - a LSD run, a tempo run, hills, and an easy/steady run.  I've modified it a bit and I am doing an LSD run, tempo or hills, and one or two easy/steady runs every week.  This is the first time I'm actually doing hill training and I can honestly say that it is really helping.

The weather here is lovely, perfect running weather.  I have always loved fall time and I love it even more now that I am a runner.  I don't have to get up early or run later in the day to avoid warm weather and I am not uncomfortably hot while I am out there.  It is starting to rain more though and I really need a solid water resistant running jacket - any suggestions?

I went for a long run last weekend in the rain and got soaked.  I really didn't want to go out in the rain and in the past I probably would have put it off to another day.  But TNT motivates me to get out there.  Even though I'm not meeting people to run, I have all the people that LLSC helps in my mind and I think that if they can go to the hospital, go through treatments, watch their friends/family go through treatments, etc., that I can at least get out there and run.  I said at the beginning that this isn't just about me anymore, but I don't think I could have imagined how much it wouldn't be about me at all.

For fundraising, I have officially sent in the paperwork to recommit to Team in Training.  This means that if I do not hit my minimum target (just over $3,000.00), then I have to pay out of my own pocket.  This is a scary thought but is motivating.  I understand from TNT's perspective that they have costs to cover and need to make sure that they are raising sufficient funds to cover those costs AND be able to do the work that they do.  I have committed to the "without flight" option, meaning that I have to book and pay for my own flight to California and every dollar I raise over my minimum will go straight to the LLSC.

My next big fundraising event will be a virtual run, with finishing prizes provided by various amazing and generous companies.  I am waiting for the prizes that are being shipped to me to arrive and then I will post all the details about how you can enter.  I am hoping to have a lot of participants.  I am still playing around with the idea of medals or some sort of token of appreciation for everyone who enters, but I am being put off by the cost of purchasing and shipping them, as I want as much money as possible to go to LLSC.  I am hoping people will be motivated to enter even without medals.

On a related note, if you are looking to join a virtual run with an amazing "medal", check out Cori's virtual Half Goofy challenge!  All proceeds raised go to LLSC.

No comments:

Post a Comment