Thursday, September 6, 2012

This is bigger than me.

Yesterday I took the plunge and made the commitment to join Team in Training, to raise over $4,000 to  fight blood cancers and support patients and families, and to complete the Tinkerbell Half Marathon!


I had some moments of uncertainty about whether I had made the right choice.  But after some reassurance from The American and about a hundred emails from the Flex program co-ordinator, I got very excited again.  I started listening to the first fundraising conference call and even signed up for my first group fundraiser (this weekend!).  I found out there are three other women in Ottawa signed up for the Tinkerbell Half through Flex, and I'm excited about meeting them, and hopefully fundraising with and training with them.

As you can tell from this blog, I have completed two half marathons before, including being lucky enough for my first half to be with Run Disney in Walt Disney World - the Princess Half Marathon.  I have the opportunity to return to the Princess Half this year so I must admit that my initial motivation in wanting to run the Tinkerbell Half was the chance to get the Coast to Coast medal.  But the more I thought about joining Team in Training, I realized that this is bigger than me.

I could sign up for the Tinkerbell Half through a travel agent.  I could get a spot right now without putting in any extra work as far as fundraising or team building or working for a cause.  I could easily pull out my credit card and go to this event on my own, for not much more expense than a regular registration.  But the more I thought about that compared to Team in Training, the more I realized that that's not how I want to do this.  On Tuesday, I tweeted:


And on Wednesday I made the commitment.  I filled out the information, I clicked those buttons on the webpage, and suddenly this isn't just about me anymore.  I don't have a story - I am blessed to not have a personal connection to blood cancers right now.  But I know many people who do have stories, and I know many more people that I don't know yet have stories.  I will run for all of them, for all of you, for all the people I will never meet.

I must admit that this is terrifying.  I know I can run a half marathon - I never thought I would say that THAT'S the easy part of all of this.  I don't know if I can raise +$4,000 in four months.  I am scared that I will make the commitment, tell everyone I know I will be running this thing, and fail somewhere along the way.  But I'm going to dream big on this one, because if everyone stayed home because they were too scared we wouldn't get anywhere.  There are people in the world who will never have this opportunity, for so many different reasons, and I count myself lucky that I have this chance to make a difference.

Stay tuned for my fundraising efforts.  In the meantime, if you want to donate right now, please visit my fundraising page.  For more information about Team in Training, check out their site.

3 comments:

  1. Have fun! I never wanted to do TNT because I hate fund raising, but I do applaud you for doing it. I'm also not much of a fan of the (very popular!) Disney races, but I do see the appeal and understand the popularity.

    Also.. you'll be in my neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can TOTALLY do this! I did my first half with TNT 2 years ago (and am now training for Goofy with flex). Just chip away at the fundraising in $200 chunks and you'll be amazed how fast it flies by. Oh - and no idea is too silly to try. I raised money just having spur of the moment fundraisers and really surprised myself how excited people got about participating and waiting to see what I might come up with next! It's alot of work, but when you attend that inspiration dinner...you'll realize exactly how worth it is it...and you'll be ready to do it all again! LOL.

    ReplyDelete