Monday, September 3, 2012

Team in Training and the Tinkerbell Half?

As I make my way back into running more regularly, and having pain free runs more often, I'm letting myself dream just a little bit about what I might do with my running next year.  I've already decided I want to do a triathlon, but I also want something to do in the winter.

Today I was thinking about the Tinkerbell Half Marathon which is held at Disneyland.  I've always wanted to go to Disneyland.  I must admit that my thinking about this race started because it would be a great way to get my Run Disney Coast to Coast medal - much better than training through another possibly very hot summer to do the Disneyland Half next September.  But then a quick internet search reminded me - this race sold out ages ago.

Then my mind turned to something else - what about a Team in Training race?  Team in Training is active in both the US and Canada, and raises funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  I began to think that my running could become something bigger than me.  And another quick search showed me that I could run the Tinkerbell Half Marathon with Team in Training!  This is beginning to sound good to me.

I am going to get some more information about Team in Training and the specifics about doing this event from Ottawa.  I know at this point that it's only available through their Flex program, which involves training on my own and having access to coaches and support online and by phone instead of in person.  Once I know more about the fundraising, etc. I am going to make my decision, probably this week.

Have you run with Team in Training?  Have you participated in their Flex program?  What are your thoughts and tips?

If you would like more info on Team in Training, check out the US website here and the Canadian site here.

2 comments:

  1. figured i would comment here instead of the fitfluential post. my thoughts are very similar to tiffany’s (in the fb thread). I am a HUGE believer in TNT. I’ve raised almost 10K in 2 years. And honestly, it was somewhat easy. I did have the benefit of training with the team and doing group fundraisers, but you will be surprised at how generous people are. the key is to start fundraising early-send out letters (to older generation that is not computer savvy-i have a letter if you need help). setup your online donation page. contact local restaurants to see if they will do a % back night.

    i know another blogger, run courtney run, has mentored the flex team. she may have more info on the flext program.

    my thoughts?? totally do it. it will change you. for the positive. i’ve captained and mentored and plan on doing my 4th event with them in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! Everything I have heard from participants has been overwhelmingly positive. Definitely leaning towards joining! I will get in touch with Courtney about the Flex program.

      Delete