Sunday, August 26, 2012

Summer ate my blog.

Apparently my blog took a summer vacation like a kid in school. I didn't realize just how long it had been since I had posted until I logged onto blogger a week or so ago and saw that not only was my last post from June, but also I had comments on it waiting to be approved for months.

So what have I been up to for the past couple months? Sadly I have not been running nearly as much as you might be led to think by my most recent training plan. The ankle soreness that was bothering me after my last 10k turned into a very angry posterior shin splint. That, combined with a very hot summer here in Ottawa, caused my training to take a beating. First my planned 15k (A Midsummer Night's Run) was off the list then my September half turned into a 10k.

I've spent the summer seeing my amazing chiropractor on a weekly basis, getting close and personal with my stick and foam roller, icing like crazy and learning about the wonders of KT Tape (omg amazing). I also took a Chi running course. Just when my shin was getting better my IT band got angry. Recently I've tried new shoes (definitely working wonders!) and acupuncture (love it too). I think I am finally on the road to complete recovery, and will try and post more about all the things I've tried.

I must admit that I am much more excited about the prospect of maybe killing a 10k instead of slogging through a half with little training. I've also learned that a fall half marathon is probably never going to be a good idea if we stay I. Southern Ontario. Training in this weather is just too darn crazy. I definitely liked running long in the winter more than the summer.

Recently I've also started doing yoga again, which has probably also helped with the healing process. I've got to do yoga in beautiful places:

Like free yoga with Lululemon on Parliament Hill
And relatively cheap outdoor yoga with friends
I've also been running, although not as much as I had planned. And I've been running in beautiful places too:

It wasn't as ominous as it looks.
Here's to beautiful places and cooler temperatures hopefully around the corner, and much more of me in this little space. How's your summer been?

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back to blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! It's good that you're seeing a chiropractor. Make sure you have regular sessions with him or her because you are into running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Jennie... nice to see your post! You HAVE had a wicked Summer in the midlands, and I bet you will be looking forward to cooler Fall weather soon.

    Not here... we got a late start to hot Summer weather on the South Island and I am hoping for a long hot Fall here.

    Hope the injuries heal up for you very soon... I love the Chi Running Technique. Have been working on it for a couple of years now and it has really made a difference for me.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete