Friday, August 31, 2012

Fall Racing Plans

I will get into more details about all the things I've done to treat my injuries, but first I want to tell you where my Mizunos and I will be toeing start lines this fall! It's been WAY TOO LONG since I found myself at a starting line and I am getting antsy. At this point, I start trying to find a race anywhere in the weekends leading up to whatever race is next on my calendar. That's how I found myself at the Starbucks Women's 10k and the Winterman 5k. This time around I've had no such luck.

For me, my next race is the end of September- the Rock n Roll Montreal 10k. Though I am disappointed this isn't the half marathon I had planned, I am excited about the possibility of finally busting through the 1:10 mark. That might be slow to may of you but it's a huge goal for me!

After that comes the Toronto Women's Runs 5k at the end of October (unless I find something else in between!). I love this race series and it will be my fourth run with them. Some friends are coming from university to run and/or cheer, and I'm hoping to see old blog friends and maybe meet some new ones too! Let me know if you will be there. Not sure about my goals for this one yet- hopefully to kill it!

Lastly, I am considering running my first ever trail run. It's at a ski hill part way between Ottawa and Toronto and my brother is considering doing it and he thinks I should do it too. I've never done a trail run before and I have no idea how to prepare or whether it's even a good idea for me to attempt right now, or even simple things like should I get trail running shoes? Please share any tips or resources you have! It would be a 7.5k or 10k and the goals would be to finish and maybe even finish last to get that prize! The event sounds perfect for a first timer like me, with lots of fun awards.

As for this weekend, we're visiting friends in Toronto and I am going to see War Horse tomorrow. I brought my running stuff but the jury is out whether my shoes will be used for running or walking around The Ex on Sunday. With the half off my schedule, it's a relief to know I can enjoy either without guilt!

 

6 comments:

  1. My first 10K was a trail run, I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but it ultimately worked out. Just don't go into it thinking you will have the same times as your road times, and I suggest doing lots of hill training, especially since you've said this trail is at a ski hill. Warrior Dash is at a ski hill and I thought I would die...but I survived :) I'd say do it though, trail running is fun. If you can get out to a trail a few times before hand, even better!

    PS. You should come out to my run club Sunday morning in Port Credit!!

    PPS. Your captcha is hardcore, it's stumped me at least 10 times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate when I fail captchas! Sorry it was hard! :-)

      Delete
  2. Too bad about no fall half, but I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience running a RnR race.
    Enjoy War Horse! I still haven't gotten around to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to the RnR experience. I'm hoping positive but I've heard things both ways. Definitely go see War Horse if you have a chance. It was incredible!

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your fall plans! I am still trying to finalize mine, but I seem to be having hamstring issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your hamstring issues! Injuries are the worst.

      Delete