Saturday, May 26, 2012

Race Goals: Toronto Women's Half Marathon

Tomorrow I am running my second half marathon. Those are words I never thought I would say- especially considering that I never thought I would run a first half marathon, let alone more than one! I met a friend for lunch today and he still doesn't believe I'm a runner. We've known each other for more than 20 years and the idea of me running kind of blows his mind. Frankly, I feel the same way.

I'm writing this post from my phone because this is the first second I have had to post something about my goals for this race. It will be brief because I'm typing on a phone and I also haven't had much time to think about my goals. This race, to be honest, has snuck up on me a bit. I followed a training plan but the giant gap in my long runs is making tomorrow's race seem a little surreal.

C goal- finish up right and smiling in less than 3 hours. My terrible, sick 10k was about 1:23 so even if I repeat that performance (knock on wood that I don't!!) I can finish in under 3 hours.

B goal- finish before my playlist runs out, which is 2:48. This time isn't really based on anything other than the playlist length and wanting a number between my A and C goals. Somewhere around 2:45 would be a "didn't go as well as I would have liked but still good" goal. If I run about 7:30 to 7:45 a minute I will hit this.

A goal- 2:30. I'm really focusing my energy on this. It would be a PR by one minute. Really though my A goal I would say is anywhere less than about 2:35. I ran 2:31 at the Princess but so many things are different now that might slow me down, including not having my sister pace me and no castle to motivate me. If I keep my pace below 7:00, around 6:47 accordingly to the calculator I used, I will hit this using 5:1s.

I'm pretty excited about this race though admittedly nervous to see what I will be able to achieve on my own steam. I have always really enjoyed the TO Women's Runs events so i am looking forward to a great event no matter how well I run.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome goals! Good luck on the race. oh, and I can't believe that you typed all that from your phone!! You have some patience... and some great texting fingers=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm super impressed with your goals! You're going to do just great. And even if you only hit goal C you're still light years and miles ahead of me. Good luck today!

    ReplyDelete