Monday, May 7, 2012

Fundraising: Because I Am A Girl

We are planning to visit friends in Toronto this weekend so I spontaneously signed up for a 10k (I never thought I would utter that phrase!)  I have to get in a long run over the weekend anyway, so I plan to do the 10k plus tack another another 7km or so afterwards.  (The runs won't be exactly concurrent - probably an hour or so between them - will that still get me to where I need to be training wise?)

The race is part of the Starbucks Run for Women which raises funds for the Because I Am A Girl Ghana School Project.


Half a million children in Ghana have no place to go to school. This primary school in Ghana will have six classrooms, 80 students, teachers trained in gender equality, a school well, and, unlike most schools in the developing world, separate washrooms for boys and girls.

Because I Am A Girl believes:
  • Girls have the right to be educated.
  • Girls have the right to eat.
  • Girls have the right to healthcare.
  • Girls have the right to be treated with respect.
  • Girls have the right to be safe.
  • Girls have the right to pursue their dreams.
  • Girls have the right to the same opportunities as their brothers.

Their goal is to engage one million girls, women – and all the people who matter to them – to raise money for projects such as clean water and food security, health care and education and livelihood initiatives, like micro finance.

Join the movement and make a difference today!  I made a donation in honour of my mom as her Mother's Day gift.  If you want to donate, please check out my donation page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment