Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Travelling Light?

I've mentioned before that I'll be traveling for a week or so at the end of April.  I'm starting to think about packing and how I might be able to travel light or at least light-ish for the ten days that we are gone.  I thought you all would have some suggestions or tips for me, so here we are!

The trip is to Europe for ten days with my mom and sister.  (It's my first trip to Europe!  YAY!)  We are visiting family in the Manchester area, then going to London, then to Paris.  I have to fly to and from Toronto to meet my mom and sister for our flights to and from Manchester/Paris.  We will be in each place for about three days.  We will also be taking a few trains and maybe buses from place to place.  I would like to pack as light as possible so I don't have to lug a big bag on and off planes, trains and automobiles.

I anticipate doing tourist things with lots of walking, including Buckingham Palace for the changing of the guard, Westminster Abbey for evensong, Versailles for the day, likely a show in London, some nice meals out (but leaning towards casual more than fancy I think).

I have available a backpacking bag and rolling suitcases of various sizes.

I would like to pack as little as possible and have as much of it as possible be multifunctional and wrinkle proof.  I also don't want to pack a lot of shoes if possible.

As I am writing this I am thinking about different things from my closet that will fit the bill, but I'm wondering if anyone with more travel experience has tips.  How do you avoid over packing?  What are your go to pieces for travelling?  Any suggestions for sandals that are pretty and practical (I need a new pair for work anyway)?  Any tips are appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment