Thursday, January 5, 2012

Three Things Thursday

I see a lot of bloggers doing "three things Thursday" posts or other similar posts with random info.  I love reading these posts because they're a little window into our own weird and wonderful worlds outside of running.  I was planning a post about one random thing today and realized it was Thursday - so you get three instead.

1. Do you know the rule "don't keep more personal items at work than you can fit in a single box"?  In case you get fired suddenly or quit?  (What a depressing rule, but I guess it's kind of like having life insurance - no one wants it, but just in case...)  I break this rule in a huge way.  A sampling of what is on my monitor stand alone:


That's Post-its, a Starbucks card, my nameplate from an old job, a paperweight, a stop sign, and a mini "wisdom" Buddha.  That is too much crap.

Then my drawers have hand cream, an emery board, glasses cleaner and a mini screw driver, Nuun, snacks, Tassimo discs (plus I have food in the kitchen!), blank cards and stationary.. Then my shelves have pictures, cards, art... My cupboard probably has a half dozen pairs of shoes at any given time, a shawl for when it's cold and a spare "nice" bag... The closet at the front has more shoes and spare clothes in case I'm casual and a client shows up... And my walls have my "wall of shame" - four different framed degrees/certificates.  It would take me much more than a box to clean out of here.

2.  I think I will join the "New to You" Cross Training Challenge at (Just) Trying is for Little Girls

From Indexed.com via (Just) Trying is for Little Girls
I am the worst at cross-training.  I just don't do it.  I have it in my training schedule for once a week but then I just don't do anything that day.  I want to get back into yoga and there is a Groupon for Bikram yoga which would "technically" be new to me because I haven't done THAT kind of yoga before - right?  Right.  I will let you know!

3. Over the Christmas holidays, I finally got the chance to sabre open a bottle of champagne.  There's a video on how to do it here.  I wanted to try it after I read about it on Mighty Girl (you don't read Mighty Girl?  You should.  Go now, I'll wait.)  It was a "Christmas gift" from The American to make it happen because it's on my "30 before 30" list.  It was AWESOME.  It was also pretty terrifying - I wasn't sure if it would work, or if I might break a window (we did it outside aimed away from the house but you never know), or if the whole bottle would just explode.  It all worked out though and no one ended up in the ER from either a busted bottle or drinking a glass shard.  Win. 


3 comments:

  1. I have nothing person on my desk, my office is so blah. I need to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I confess I don't keep a lot at work, but I don't have a desk either, just a locker. Love the mini Buddha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've really downsized what I keep at work since I came back from mat leave. I'd love to do that champers trick.

    ReplyDelete