Saturday, January 7, 2012

New York City - Part Two

I promised to recap the rest of our NYC vacation, so here goes!

Day two involved fewer pictures - or at least fewer that I'll post here, as well as the fact that some of them actually ended up in the first post.

We slept in again on the second day, which was awesome.  We're not really the "we're in an exciting city and we have to set an alarm and get up early!" types.  We're more the "let's sleep in and laze around our hotel room because we're on vacation" types.  No exclamation mark because we're sleeping and lazing.  I find this formula works just fine.  We've travelled with people from the first group before and enjoyed it, but I would be exhausted at the end of the day and need a vacation from my vacation.

Once we realized that breakfast was long gone and brunch was headed that way as well, we tried to find a BBQ yesterday for The American.  He loves pulled pork and laments often that Canadians do it wrong somehow.  We found a massive restaurant off Times Square that promised amazing BBQ.  It was perfect, but it was still pretty good.  (Side note - the American trend or requirement of putting calorie counts on menus is downright disturbing at a place like this one.)

During this meal is when The American convinced me that we had to go back to Macy's and see Santa.  I had dismissed it the day before, not wanting to stand in line or listen to The American whine about standing in said line.  But he pointed out that we could do all the regular NYC stuff when we came back (you can bet we will be going back) but Macy's Santa wouldn't be there except at Christmas.  So we trudged our way from Times Square to Macy's, where it was very very crowded but the line was mercifully short to see Santa.  And see Santa we did!

The entrance to Santaland. The line before this
point was pretty short - I hear it can be hours. 
We're in Santaland! 
The tree sang. We had something like this
in the mall growing up but it was a moose
and WAY more ghetto.
Amazing displays inside Santaland to distract you from the lines.
Outside Santaland - the Miracle on 34th Street puppet windows.
Macy's was crazy busy - it made shopping at home
on December 23rd seem like a ghost town.
Our next stop was the Guggenheim - which is at 89th street and we were on 34th.  Sure, taking a cab would have been an option.  But it was a beautiful lovely rainy day and we weren't I wasn't going to miss the chance to walk through Central Park again.  Our walk went something like this:


We saw more of the west side of Central Park, having cut through the east side on our first day.

I loved the look of the tall buildings through the green space. 
John Lennon's apartment building (I think?)

There were a lot of runners out, and I was a little bit jealous that I wasn't one of them.  But I was getting more than enough exercise and I was wearing my running shoes, so I guess it was alright.  I kept looking for Ali from Ali on the Run like the stalker fan that I am, but no dice.

We finally made it to the Guggenheim, which was even more impressive in real life than I had imagined it.


It cost $18 to get in, which is pretty steep for a museum in my opinion, and it was actually smaller inside than I would have thought for the price and the hype.  But it was really quite incredible.  I loved that it was small.  The art was all killer, no filler.  It wasn't hundreds of paintings and sculptures and historical pieces.  It was just the best of the best and just enough for you to say "wow" and enjoy it instead of feeling overwhelmed.  

The main piece was an exhibition was called "Maurizio Cattelan: All".  From the website:
The exhibition brings together virtually everything the artist has produced since 1989 and presents the works en masse, strung seemingly haphazardly from the oculus of the Guggenheim’s rotunda. 
We went straight to the top floor and worked our way down, on the recommendation of a friend.  This worked well for the other exhibitions in the side rooms and especially for the Cattelan exhibition because we had a really good vantage point to view all the pieces.  It was quite incredible.  If you live in NYC or go there before the exhibition closes (January 22nd), I definitely recommend going.


One of many pictures I took of the exhibition.
On the way back to the hotel, I found my future house:

I'm totally positive I can afford it. Sure.
And we went to FAO Schwarz to see the toys.  They had a candy store too full of candy bigger than my head:


We then found a wine store (harder than you think in midtown NYC) and some snacks (including Luna Bars in flavours not available in Canada - delicious) and headed back to the hotel.  We headed out for dinner at a great sushi place almost next door to our hotel - they had a prix fixe menu that was inexpensive and delicious (also hard to find in midtown - the inexpensive part).  To celebrate our last night in NYC, we sat around in hotel robes, drank our bottle of wine, ate our snacks, did the NY Times crossword and generally lazed about.  A perfect end to a perfect holiday!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like the absolute perfect way to end a much needed vacay!!! Super jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete