Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New York City - Part One

I hope you're ready for a picture heavy post!  My apologies in advance.

The week before Christmas, The American and I went to New York City so I could check "go back to New York City" off my "30 before 30" list.  I also desperately needed a shot of super-duper-intense Christmas action to make up for all the craziness at work that prevented me from celebrating Christmas properly in the prior weeks.

On Monday, we arrived and checked into our super swank hotel room at The New York Palace, which we got for a steal thanks to Hotwire.  Check it out:

A king size bed and room to spare!  And two windows!
The hotel was all decked out for Christmas,
including the courtyard
We got in in the mid-afternoon so we had some time that evening.  We immediately walked to Rockefeller Centre to see the Christmas tree.  Our hotel was only a few blocks away from here:

Rocking the Lulu pants after our flight.

We went by Rockefeller Centre quite often.  I took a lot of pictures of it.  I won't bore you with them, but will show you a lovely shot of it at night:


And a neat panoramic shot:


We then went for a very long walk, through the east side of Central Park and up to the Metropolitan Museum of Art (but it was closed).  We then found the best burgers ever at The Prime Burger.  It could have been that I was ravenous, but it was the best burger I have ever had.  We were "home" by 6:00 p.m. I think, and watched hours of Top Gear while lazing in our very comfy bed.

On day two, we checked out Macy's (we went back there on day three to see Santa), Times Square, and the Empire State Building.  Here comes a whole mess of pictures with no more words:

Times Square!
Look at me in Times Square!
View from the Empire State Building. 
Another view from the Empire State Building.
The escalators at Macy's were wooden! Terrifying.
(Hey, look, it's The American's foot!)

We saw a lot of really beautiful Christmas windows, but only took a few pictures of them.  They were generally crowded with people.  I was also too busy just taking it all in!  

A window display at Macy's.
On day two we also went to the New York Public Library which ended up being a highlight of the trip.  I dragged The American there because I am obsessed with Sex and the City (let's just pretend the second movie didn't happen).  When we got there we discovered a fantastic free exhibition which included some amazing pieces from their collection - including a Gutenberg Bible (The American's favourite) and the original stuffed animals given to Christopher Robin (my favourite).  Too bad we weren't allowed to take pictures in there.

The outside of the building (obviously). 
So beautiful inside!
Oh, Big, why did you do it?!
We ended our big day with the Radio City Christmas Spectacular!  How could we not?  Honestly.  It was 90 minutes of  pure cheese, including 8 kick lines.  But after that we were definitely in the Christmas spirit.  We followed it with drinks and an appetizer at a bar across from Rockefeller Centre then a lovely dinner at a small Italian restaurant near Radio City Music Hall that the concierge had recommended.

Unfortunately it also started to rain that night :-(
You'll have to stay tuned for Day Three because I'm exhausted and I'd feel bad including any more pictures in this post.  I also need the material for my "more posts in 2012" goal.  More to come!

2 comments:

  1. This makes me want to go to NYC! I used to think I never would want to simply because that many people freaks me out, not to mention huge huge city, but the older I get the more adventurous I get! Looks like you are having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Christy - There were SO many people. It made Christmas shopping back home on Dec 23rd look like a ghost town. I ended up not running because battling the sidewalks would have been a nightmare. But it was totally worth it! I definitely recommend going.

    ReplyDelete