Monday, January 2, 2012

Half Marathon Training: Weeks Four and Five



As I should have predicted, Weeks 4 and 5 of my training didn't turn out anything like I planned.  Christmas and New Years threw a big wrench into things that I didn't expect.  I saw it coming, but somehow thought that I wouldn't fall victim to it.  But at the end of the day, I did.

So what do I do now?  Pick myself up, dust myself off, revamp my training schedule for the next eight weeks (one month and 24 days to be precise according to my countdown widget), and move on.  Someone on Twitter pointed out that you can't try and make up for the miles lost - you just have to get moving again.  So I am!  I remember this happening before my first 10k as well and I know it will be okay.

Firstly, the last two weeks of training consisted of two long runs (because I remembered the most important thing to do is get in my long run) and one short run.

Two of those runs (the short one and an 8km LSD) were around my in-laws' neighbourhood.  I'm pretty proud of myself for getting those in while I was out of town.

The second long run - 10km - was on a treadmill at a local gym.  I gave in and got a gym membership because I didn't want to use weather as an excuse for not getting a run in.  I hope not to do any more of my LSDs on the treadmill because that was a very very VERY boring 1.5 hours.  But now I have the choice between running inside (warm and boring) or outside (cold but less boring) and I do not have the choice of wimping out because it's icky outside.

I missed the Resolution Run Virtual Fun Run hosted by RunToTheFinish that I planned to do on January 1st - a combination of being out of town, eating way too much at a brunch buffet and some really icky weather combined to make me SO LAZY.  No excuses, just admitting what happened.

My revamped training schedule just adjusts some of my LSD runs to account for my past LSDs not being as long as I had hoped.  Otherwise I am basically on track.  In fact the last six weeks are the same as before and the other two weeks are only slightly adjusted.  I really just wanted a fresh schedule for my fridge for the new year since the past few weeks look so sad with so many missed runs.  Here's my new schedule:


Stay tuned for the Larabar giveaway winner (or go enter real fast, it ends in just over two hours!), my 2012 goals (hint: blog more!) and some sort of very loose racing calendar for the year.

1 comment:

  1. The plan looks good. Don't worry too much about missing some weeks - it'll happen and you'll be okay as long as you don't miss too many!

    ReplyDelete