Friday, November 4, 2011

It's Time

Since the 10k, I have been going to the chiropractor regularly but I haven't been running nearly as much.  I've been afraid to run too much, afraid to hurt myself, and afraid of not running ENOUGH.  I'm cleared to run up to 5k, but instead of running 5k a few times a week I've been running once and maybe twice.

I have no training schedule right now because I want to make a half marathon schedule that looks like all the ones I find on the internet - 16 weeks, 18 weeks, 20 weeks - starting long runs right now and not when my chiropractor (and my body) say that I can.  Because I can't have THAT training schedule, I've settled for NO training schedule.  That's hardly the way to train for my first half marathon.

It's hardly time to start hill training (I'm definitely not cleared for that!) but a slow run and a steady, easy run added to my current tempo run with my running group is something I think I can handle.

I also haven't been taking care of myself nearly well enough.  I've definitely been icing like crazy but I've only been stretching occasionally.  My chiropractor suggested I get a foam roller and after putting it off for a couple days I bought one tonight and tried out some IT band stretches.  OUCH.

On top of the injuries and my fear, there is a lingering worry that the Princess Half Marathon won't happen for my sister and I this year.  Our plans hinge partly on our parents making their annual trip to Florida, where they rent a house for several weeks in the winter, making our accommodations practically free.  Dad had a health scare last week that we worried might cause the trip not to happen due to trouble getting travel insurance.  He's out of the woods now (thank God), but the trip isn't 100% on yet.

All this put together, I'm hesitant to full commit to training.  But tonight I made a decision - I'm going to stretch as much as possible, do yoga, foam roll like a champ (and subsequently develop killer upper arm strength because apparently foam rolling is hard work) and make a training schedule, even if that means three 5k runs a week for the next six weeks and a slightly sudden but not impossible increase from 10k to 21k before the half marathon.


It's time.  It's time to stop being scared.  It's time to start taking care of myself.  It's time to start really training for this half marathon.  It's time to realize that even though I can't run as much as the schedules from the internet say, I can run and I need to run.  It's time.



4 comments:

  1. Great attitude! You don't need to run more than 3 days a week to successfully run a half. Train smart - include crosstraining, stretching, and pay attn to how you feel. You can do it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to start training for a half at the beginning of December and I am only going to run 3 times a week to do it.

    One 3 mile run Mondays, one 4 or 5 mile run on Wednesdays, then my increasingly long run on Saturdays. I think that will be enough.

    I was advised by an experienced marathoner and coach that I shoulddn't do a long run of more than 11 miles before the actual half as it takes too much out of you and can lead to injury.

    My goal will be to finish, as it is my first.

    I think you are ready to train even if the race trip itself doesn't happen.

    Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can totally train for a half with 3 runs a week. Final long run distance is up to you (my longest run going into this half was 22k), but even if you only get to 16k, you'll be okay for the half physically (just get your mental suck it up pants on!). Good luck.

    I hope your dad is better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Macnic - Can I get those pants at the Running Room? :-)

    ReplyDelete