Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Review: Clif Luna Bars and Shot Bloks

Note: I've updated this review as of October 21, 2011 to including information about flavour availability in Canada.  

The fine folks at Clif sent me a package of Luna Bars and Shot Bloks to try out recently.  I already knew I loved Luna Bars but I had never tried Shot Bloks.  I was eager to try them out when the package arrived!

Get in my belly!

Luna Bars are nutrition bars made specifically for women.  From their website:
Created by and for women, LUNA bars were the first bars just for us, with the vitamins and minerals our bodies need to stay healthy. Wholesome nourishment and delicious indulgence, they are 70% organic and just plain yummy.
In Canada, LUNA Bars are available in six flavours: Caramel Nut Brownie, Chocolate Peppermint Stick, LemonZest®, Nutz Over Chocolate®, S’mores and White Chocolate Macadamia.  I was excited to try some new flavours as all I can usually find locally are the chocolate and nut flavours.  For more info, check out the FAQ on their website.


The Luna Bars they sent Nutz Over Chocolate, Lemon Zest and Toasted Nuts 'n Cranberry.  I don't have any pictures of the bars themselves because I ate them too fast.  :-)  I don't know much about nutrition and science, but I can definitely confirm they are yummy!!

I had tried Nutz Over Chocolate before so that was an easy sell for me!  I love it already and gobbled them up first.  I wasn't sure about the Toasted Nuts 'n Cranberry because I don't usually love dried cranberries in bars - but I was definitely wrong.  These were different than the Luna Bars I had tried before.  I was used to a bit of chocolate coating on the bottom and these did not have that.  There were great as well though.

My favourite by far was the Lemon Zest flavour.  Now I know why my contact at Clif Bars said they were her favourite!  They are SO delicious!!  I was worried after trying the lemon flavoured Larabar, but these were a much softer lemon flavour.  They had a little coating on the bottom, maybe vanilla flavoured instead of chocolate?  It was like eating a lemon meringue pie.  I immediately told the people I was with when I ate it for the first time that it was amazing.

I love keeping Luna Bars in my bag when we go camping or hiking, and I kept them handy during the Mitsubishi City Chase as well and ate nothing but a couple of them all day.  After I received these I wasn't doing anything particularly active other than running, so I stashed a couple in my desk drawer.  They came in handy more than once when I didn't have time for lunch.  I also ate one before running once - it was just enough to keep me going but not so much that my stomach was upset.


I finally tried the Shot Bloks tonight.  I felt a little intimidated because I've never tried any nutrition stuff before and they came with instructions on the package.  I knew I wouldn't be heading out any long enough runs to really justify fuel, but I wanted to try them so I could tell you about them.  I finally ate a few tonight when I was starving and en route to the chiropractor.

From the Clif website:
CLIF SHOT BLOKS are the latest nutrition option for endurance athletes. SHOT Bloks come in chewable, 33 calorie cubes, making it easy to customize and track caloric and electrolyte intake during long outings and races.
In Canada, five flavours of Shot Bloks are available: Cran‐Razz®, Margarita, Strawberry, Mountain Berry and Lemon-Lime.  Some flavours also come with caffeine and one has extra sodium.  If you want more information, check out the FAQ here.

The font on the magazine shows their size :-)
Tonight I tried the Mountain Berry flavour.  The verdict?  Delicious!  It's like eating gummy bears!

I was scared after hearing how gross and hard to choke down some fuel is.  These were no problem.  I could probably eat a whole package (6 bloks) just sitting around on my couch.  They were easy to chew and swallow.  I imagine they will be pretty easy to consume while running - definitely easier than something liquidy or gooey.

They also sent a few more flavours - Cran-Razz, Lemon Lime and Strawberry - and I can't wait to try them.  I have read that you can read them before running so I plan to try that a few times.  I will also definitely be trying these on my long runs when they start!  I feel like I've found the right thing for my fuelling already, which is nice to know!  I heard so many horror stories about different fuels being gross or hard to swallow or tough on people's stomachs, and I haven't had any of those problems with these yet.  I will provide more comments as I try them for different things.

There were a couple things I didn't love that I think I will be able to address through getting used to the product.  First, they were super sticky and my fingers got stick.  Second, the package seemed hard to open.  I think it might be how I opened it though, because the package is designed to be easy to open and for you to just "squeeze" the Bloks out of the package instead of getting your hands sticky.  I think it might have been more of a user problem than a design problem.  I'll have to play with them some more.

I will definitely be chomping down on the rest of my Shot Bloks pretty quickly and will provide more thoughts on them if I have any.

Disclaimer: I received these products at no cost from Clif Bar to review.  All opinions expressed in this review are my own; I was not compensated to give any certain opinion or provide any particular information.

1 comment:

  1. Nice score! I wish they would send some to me, too.!!

    ReplyDelete