Sunday, September 11, 2011

Say It, Do It: Army Run Edition!

This training week is the week of the Army Run (since I count my training weeks as Monday-Sunday).  I'm so excited about running another 5k here in my city!

Last week I said I would do four runs - three easy 5k runs and one long run with seven 10:1 intervals.  Did I do it?  I did!!



My long run even hit 10km before my cooldown, which is pretty awesome in my books.  That takes a lot of the pressure off me for the next two weeks, because I'm no longer concerned about hitting 10km during a training run prior to my race.  (Yes, I know adrenaline would take me there if I hadn't been there before, but I'm afraid the mental block of passing the kilometre marker that I had never passed before would get to me first like it almost did at my first 5k.)

For more info on my runs, check out my Dailymile page.

This week my training schedule calls for three runs, which includes the Army Run.  I had optimistically planned to do one long run between my two easy runs.


This plan seemed much less crazy when I planned to do this past week's long run on Friday.  Due to weather, my long run got bumped to today.  While I'm very glad I made that decision as today's run was pretty awesome, I now face the prospect of doing another 10km four days from now, followed by a 5k race three days later.  It doesn't take a running genius to figure out that maybe that is not the best plan.  Even if I had done my long run on Friday this probably would have been a poor plan.

I am instead going to commit to three runs total, including the race, so I won't hurt myself.  Both my runs this week will be relatively easy, with the latter run probably being closer to 3-4 km rather than 5km, working towards kicking some butt on Sunday at the Army Run.

(If you’re new to SIDI here’s some info: At the beginning of each week on Fit Chick in the City, “Say it, Do it” is a chance for us to commit to our workouts for the week by saying them out loud here and keeping each other accountable.)

No comments:

Post a Comment