Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Remember that time...

.... That I thought signing up for a 10k race was a good idea?

I vaguely remember that time too.  It must have happened or I wouldn't be sitting here with three sleeps to go before I line up at the starting line of the Oasis Zoo Run 10k.

What I'm running for!

I just finished making my playlist for the run (I think) and it's terrifying me!  The playlist is TWICE as long as my 5k playlists.  There is so much time to fill in and so much music to get through.  And I have no idea how things are going to go so I'm not sure exactly where to place my "power songs" along the way.  I finished a training run of 10k in about 1:10 and hope to finish in less than 1:20.  I made my ideal playlist about 1:15 and have enough buffer music to get me to almost 2:00.  Will it be enough?  I just don't know right now.

I can't lie, I'm starting to freak out a bit (as if you couldn't tell from the above).  I know I can do this.  I know I have it in me.  I know I can set goals for this race and I can meet them.  I know I will finish this race upright - even better than upright.  But right now I can't think about goals or the race because it's just plain scary!

How do you feel before you tackle a new distance or challenge?


What do you do to calm mind down and get it done?

4 comments:

  1. you were me two years ago during my first zoo race which was the first time I had ever run 10k. I aimed for 1:10 and got in at 1:03:05. Music helps and so does the zoo itself. Just find someone to pace with and you'll be fine. If you're not running with anyone, message me on DM and we'll meet up. I have some friends aiming for 1:10 and its their first 10k too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister and I are doing the race too but she's a lot faster than me. I might take you up on your offer! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way before a new distance, my first 10K was last year around this time and I felt very similar to how you are describing yourself.
    You have it all right though, you will get it done, you can do this, you will do awesome! To somewhat calm myself down, I think of how I'm going to feel after it's done, how accomplished and proud I'm going to feel, because that's really the best part!
    As you do more and more races that feeling will start to be less and less each time, and nervousness turns to pure excitement!
    Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do it! I feel excited because it is an automatic PR. I was poorly trained for my first 10k, hated my time, and it was a hot day. But i was glad i did it. Every other race I was fully trained for and felt confident. You will do great!

    ReplyDelete